IMMEDIATE ACTION: Thank Legislators for Supporting the $100 Million for Housing!
This year we made a historic $100 million investment in affordable housing, to help make housing a reality for all. This would not have been possible without the strong advocacy work done by a broad coalition.
-Senator Jeff Hayden
The ask of Homes for All coalition was bold and historic! Yet, legislators like Senator Hayden and Representative Alice Hausman, have said this coalition, which Downtown Congregations to End Homelessness is a part of, made the difference in getting $100 million for housing. Each of us helped make this happen; each phone call, letter or postcard, or visit made a difference together!
With this investment, around 5,000 households across Minnesota will be impacted. So how does that happen?
- The funding from the legislature will be given to Minnesota Housing Finance Agency (MHFA), which is a state government administrative agency.
- MHFA distributes the funding based upon a competitive application process.
- Additionally, this $100 million will leverage other funding streams of the MHFA, impacting ever more households.
- Projects will apply for funding by early June and determinations will be announced in October.
- Groundbreakings for new construction on projects usually happen a year to two years after receiving funding.
These projects will impact our community and help ease the burden of the cost of housing. Now, let’s thank our legislators for their support and hard work to make Minnesota a place for all people and families to thrive!
The Message: Thank you for supporting $100 million for housing!
What You Can Do:
1. Call or write the Senate and House Leadership, Your Legislators, and the Governor to thank them for their support!
Find their contact information: http://www.gis.leg.mn/OpenLayers/districts/
2. Gather with others on the front, south-facing capitol steps on Wednesday, June 11th at 12:00pm. We will take a picture with a Thank You sign and then drop off a thank you note to our legislator’s offices.
Thank you for all your advocacy work!
Lastly, take a short survey to help us improve our organizing and advocacy work! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KST5ZN3